WHY DIVERS CHOOSE the PHILIPPINES: RESULTS of SPORT DIVER SURVEY
Well the results are out from the 2012 survey of divers carried out by Sports Diver Magazine (USA). The Philippines was in the top five destinations in nearly all categories. This is how the Philippines scored in the Pacific and Indian Ocean Region
- Best Destination for Diving = 1st place (tied with Malaysia);
- Best Shore Diving = 2nd place;
- Best Destination Overall = 3rd place (tied with Thailand);
- Best Marine Life = 3rd place;
- Healthiest Marine Environment = 4th place;
- Best Macro = 4th place;
- Best Wreck Diving = 5th place.
Photograph of pygmy seaqhourse compliments of Estelle Giorand-Bucaille
Best Shore diving
The survey results noted that Cebu’s Moalboal has a handful of mini walls that offer some of the best diving in the country
Healthiest Marine Life
In December 2011, the United Nations Environment Program launched the Green Fins Project to all the dive centers in Moalboal. This project, which has already been successfully implemented in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia and Philippines (Puerto Galera), aims to:
- “to protect and conserve coral reefs by establishing and implementing environmentally friendly guidelines to promote a sustainable diving tourism industry”.
This has been done by introducing a Code Of Conduct for good diving practices and protocol for all divers who dive in Moalboal. This is done with the support of the Dive Center owners, through education of all of the dive masters and other dive staff making them aware of diving does and don’ts. The education is backed up by posters and briefing guides that are shared with visiting divers.
The national government agencies (Department of Environment and Natural Resources and Philippine Commission on Sports Scuba Diving) are backing this project. The local government of Moalboal has given their full support to this project by passing a new ordinance that gives a penalty divers and dive centers who cause damage to the coral reef.